I have been itching to make tutus for my two daughters for ages. I made a pink and white one for Pip earlier in the year, but had no real idea where to start, so just made it up as I went along. I cut the tulle into sections and staggered the layers before sewing them together at the waist. I then sewed some pretty ribbon on the waistband and added snaps at the appropriate place for a closure. I added silk flowers amongst the layers and it all turned out very well.
It took quite a while to do it that way and I figured there must be a quicker way to do it or there would not be so many tutus for sale on the internet! Certainly not at the prices I have seen. The tutus I have made are going to be fantastic for their dress up box and for practising their dance moves. I recently found this tutorial and it was a great guide, though my first try was certainly not as polished as hers are! Maybe next time!
This time I used elastic for the waistband and tied strips of tulle to it, alternating the colours. I used 2 strips for each knot, so you could use 1 to make smaller knots, but you will end up tying more strips to get the same fullness. You could also do 1 strip of each colour for a different effect. As you will see, I have used red and black for these. Nice to have a change from pink occasionally! I thought they would look quite festive without being too seasonal. I was sort of planning to save them for Christmas, but I couldn’t wait to see them in them together. They look so incredibly cute and I am pleased, and relieved, to say that they were very happy with their new finery. Not the best pictures, but you get the idea!