My sewing space

This is my space. The walls are “Crabapple” by Ralph Lauren, the storage unit is a project organizer by Sauder at Canadian Tire and the shelves are from Ikea (“borrowed” from my husband’s office). The main table is a very sturdy folding banquet table and the cutting table is a stainless steel table from my Mum’s restaurant, which she didn’t need anymore. I have 3 machines: a White machine which I use for sewing on cards now that I have my lovely Janome 4030 QDC. I also have a Janome Harmony 9102D serger. The photo was taken before I had my beautiful Mac.

My sewing / crafting space

My sewing / crafting space

The window looks out on to our garden, so I get lots of natural daylight and can watch the birds. I also have those daylight-type energy saver bulbs. My fabric is stored on top of the project organizer, which holds lots and lots of paper, books, office and crafting supplies and bits and bobs for future projects. I also have a small-ish garage organizer that holds all my embellishments and ink pads. My ever-expanding collection means that there are also things under the table, but at least they are stacked neatly on a small shelf and I know where to find just about everything.

I love this space!

Post to Twitter

This entry was posted in crafting, my studio, sewing and tagged , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

9 Responses to My sewing space

1. Mary says:

What a great space to have!

2. Amanda G. says:

To answer your question . . . yes i have seen Hot Fuzz and i thought it was really funny. If you like the lead guy (simon pegg) he had his own tv show on Showcase called Spaced. I think it was only aired for two seasons (in Canada anyway) but it was really funny and unique.

3. Beth says:

wow, that looks like a nice crafting space! I sew in the livng room so as to keep an eye on the wee ones too..

I am one of your SCB groupmembers by the way.

4. Ruth says:

Love your space you have to craft in. Wish I had a dedicated space, maybe someday.

I am one of your group mates at SCB.

5. Nicki Parker says:

Hi Fiona! So glad to see we’re in Group 2 together on SCB!

I love your sewing space pictures. I dream of my own sewing “studio” instead of the cramped corner of my room!

About the FELT DOLLS…..I’m going to try my first tutorial ever with these little guys in a few days since I’ve had several questions about them. To answer your question: some items I just cut out of felt and others I traced the clothing item pattern on fusible interfacing and ironed on to the wrong side of scraps. Then just cut them out with pinking shears. Check my blog in a few days (Wed?) for more complete tutorial.

6. CBear says:

very lovely!

i am stuck in the coldest room in the house just below ground level – so the daylight is very minimal!

I’d love to look out at the garden!

7. Thanks everyone for the comments! It is so good to know that it isn’t just my Mum who reads this!

The sewing space is indeed a lovely place. I am very thankful for it – and for my husband who made it happen. It is incredible how much the supplies have expanded since I started, and he is always ready and willing to put new shelves up for me. He just installed a small set of speakers so that me and the girls can listen to music while we craft or play.

There are a couple of things that need tweaking, but we will get to those. And in the meantime, I will enjoy every minute handcrafting beautiful items in a beautiful space!

8. Natalie says:

Hi there,

I was looking into purchasing the Janome QDC4030. I came across this site, looking for reviews and was hoping that maybe you could give me some advice. Would you recommend this machine?

• admin says:

Hi Natalie
      I certainly would recommend this machine, without any hesitation at all. If you can confirm that this review is for your personal use only, I will happily tell you more!
      Fiona